According to the Mayo Clinic, “depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest and affects how you feel, think and behave and can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems.” And according to the World Health Organization 264 million people affected by this debilitating disorder. Through the years medical professionals have treated depression in many different ways including prescription medicines and behavioral therapy.
Newer to the treatment table is using cannabis for depression. Cannabis can positively enhance the mood of people suffering from depression by improving their mood, relaxing them, and helping them sleep. It is important to note that not all strains of cannabis are created equal but one thing they have in common is terpenes.
What are Terpenes?
Marijuana is rich in cannabinoids and terpenes, which offer a variety of health benefits including relaxation, focus, and tension relief. Terpenes are the oils produced in cannabis and other plants. These oils are used for flavor and fragrance products like cleaners and aromatherapy products. There are more than 100 terpenes in many different cannabis varieties although not all help with depression. Here are some of the best strains of cannabis for depression.
Limonene: Limonene is one of the most common terpene strains in cannabis and is enjoyed for a citrus fragrance and flavor. It is one that is used to help with both depression and anxiety by increasing dopamine levels in the brain associated with depression and anxiety. Some patients who already take antidepressants, and add Limonene, are able to reduce their medication levels. Cannabis strains with Limonene are:
- Lemon Haze: Lemon Haze can provide an uplifting effect (differs from person to person) and cause a relaxed sensation. It tastes and smells like lemons due to the Limonene cannabis strain.
- Amnesia Haze: Amnesia Haze can provide an energetic, uplifting sensation and reduce stress. This strain tastes and smells like lemons due to the Limonene. It can also alleviate headache pain caused by migraines.
- Harlequin: Harlequin is highly recognized to provide a calming and therapeutic result easing depression and anxiety.
- Jack Herer: Thanks to the Limonene levels, Jack Herer will inspire creativity, focus, and a lifted sense of spirit.
Linalool: Linalool is another common terpene strain in cannabis and is enjoyed for its floral aroma. It helps with many psychological issues and mental conditions. Linalool is also found in mint and cinnamon and can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. Cannabis strains with Linalool are:
- Blue Dream: Blue dream is used to relieve tension while providing an uplifting feeling. Blue Dream contains both linalool and limonene easing depression and providing mental alertness. The combination of citrus, cinnamon, and floral assist in the results.
- Jilly Bean: Jilly Bean is a good choice for daytime use as it is a strain that provides a positive and energizing effect and improves focus. Its floral notes are due to the Linalool levels.
- Cannatonic: Cannatonic, one of the premier medical strains promotes relaxation due to linalool levels. Its earthy fruity fragrance helps produces a short mellow high and a powerful relaxation feeling. It also helps reduce pain, muscle spasms, and migraine headaches.
Everyone reacts to cannabis differently so discovery and dosage experimentation is needed to find the best strains of cannabis for depression.